About Me

My photo
SAHM of 3 wonderful kids, one brilliant one Asperger Syndrome. This is not a living shrine to his disorder, but rather a place to share & discuss the different challenges that came with it and other things about parenting & life in general.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Hard lesson for my aspie...bullies are everywhere!

It was just another weekend, another day, Will walking the dog. It wasn't that early on Saturday morning. He left with our 16 year old Shih tsu for a walk around the block.
To my surprise, he had that look on his face that made me cringe.
It was of utter confusion and shock. His face was flustered.

The story goes, there was a man in his fifties with his dog standing across the street staring at Will. Will looks back because he thinks maybe the man is going to talk to him or say something. As an aspie, his typical reaction is to stand there because he hasn't faced this situation before.

Then the man walks over and tells him he needs to pick up after the dog then takes a picture of the dog. What is he the dog police? Will said he would've been paying attention to the dog if the man wasn't staring at him.

My aspie is very black and white when it comes to direction. He knows and very stubbornly sticks to my direction. He even takes multiple bags for the dog when walking. My aspie is very black and white when it comes to direction. He knows and very stubbornly sticks to my direction. He even takes multiple bags for the dog when walking. But I digress. He came home.

That was the only time I regretted banning his cell phone use while walking the dog. I thought it would take away distractions and make the walk a little shorter. He was less than a block away from our house and in a somewhat exclusive of neighborhoods.

As some people may have read on my blog, he had his incidents of bullying at school that was taken care of. So you can guess how I reacted. I kept my cool and had to explain to him calmly, but I tweeted about it so I could calm down.  I surely couldn't go off the handle. 

My basic explanation was that there bullies everywhere. But I was proud that he didn't react the way I would have because there would've been a fight for sure. A good lesson, but a disappointing reality of life for my son. 

4 comments:

  1. I think the guy just saw a teenage boy and assumed he would not do the right thing. Obviously, the man needs to learn to give kids the benefit of the doubt before jumping to conclusions. It is sad that your son experienced this. Just remind that there are still good people out there and tell him to avoid this man and anyone else he does not know next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's awful that people are so judgemental and automatically jump to the wrong conclusions, it's horrible that your son has to suffer other peoples ignorance. Hopefully it will not affect him to much x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It hasn't affected him. We actually laughed and talked about it which was very pleasant. It did present a good topic for discussion and some positive one on one time. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why on earth was the man staring at him in the first place? Some people!

    ReplyDelete